Thursday 7 November 2013

(✎) Early Stop Motion Animation Review Assignment

Phenakistoscope
An Early Animation Device

      Hello. I'll introduce you to an early animation. So, the image above is a Phenakistoscope. Phenakistoscope is an early animation device that uses the persistence of motion principle to create an illusion of motion. The Phenakistoscope consisted of two discs mounted on the same axis.  The first disc had slots around the edge, and the second contained drawings of successive action, drawn around the disc in concentric circles. Source
      The interesting part about this device is when it's spinning. Although it is just a device with some images on it but it actually creates an effect. My experience about this was... when I was trying to see the actual "step" or "frame" of it while it was spinning but I couldn't. Even though I tried for many times and tried to spin it slower but I still couldn't see it. So that was the thing that I found out interesting. And that is why they used the persistence of motion.
     For the last thing. This device is very important for the history of animation. This is because... some animator and people could understand how animation was made so they would have an inspiration and ideas from these devices. anyway that's all thank's for reading sorry for typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment