Thursday 24 October 2013

(✎) (✉) Chess Piece Artwork Assignment


"The Space Chess"

Too Dark??
Here the brighter one:
How I created it/ The presentation:


     Hello. I will tell you about how I created this. So.. First of all, everybody in my class got their chess pieces. Some people have the same kind and some people not. Anyway I got a Bishop, which is good for me because it is not too complicated to draw. And the objective of this assignment is.. we have to create the chess piece to looks as realistic as possible by playing around with the values, contour lines, or smudging etc. We also have to set the chess piece to be the focal point. And create movement on the background.
      My first part is I started to draw some thumbnail sketches in my sketchbook. And then I came up with four ideas to choose but then I decided to pick one (which was that final image ^) and draw it for the second time to make it nicer.
     After I got my idea and drew the sketch, I started to draw my chess piece for real on a big sheet of paper. Before I started draw my chess piece, First of all I have to place my real chess piece somewhere in a room that has dark and lights so I placed my chess piece in a dark room that has a lamp beside it. And then I started drawing. The first step that I did is I drew the outline of it by using an HB type of pencil then drew the contour line. And after that I started to layer the contour line to make it as thick/bold as possible by using the 2B pencil and then the 6B pencil. After that I smudged the contour lines until disappear so it wouldn’t look like imitation. And then I applied the value to it by following real life lights then smudging and layering until it looks realistic.
     For the background, I decided to create something interesting. So my theme is “ The Space Chess” it is about a chess piece from a strange planet that wants to see its kinds in earth because it heard from its planet that there are a lot of different chess pieces in earth. Back to the artwork. I wanted to create movement around the chess piece like a real meteor/comet because the theme is in the space, so I drew a bunch of thin lines layer by layer around the chess piece until it becomes bold. After it became bold, I began to smudge the two tails at the back(as seen in the image^) until it looked fading/gradient to the front. It would create a feeling that the chess piece is coming down. I drew it using the HB pencil for thin layers and then 2B and 6B for the bold.
     For the composition, I placed my chess piece on the left corner and facing down at the bottom right corner. Because, instead of placed in the center, I would preferred play around with the position and choose for the best one. And it also matches the artwork's theme. For the size of the chess piece... I made it looks bigger than the earth to create a proportion and to make the chess piece as the focal point/ emphasis of this artwork. The next is the earth. Because I said that this artwork is about a chess piece that is coming to earth. So I drew the earth right on the corner right. I made the earth looks small to create a proportion and balance. After everything is finished. I added the value to the background by drawing a bunch of lines on the top, bottom right, middle right, and behind the chess piece. After all finished, and then I smudged half of them until they look balanced and fading to each other. The value on the background helps create movement and to make it look like in the space. So... that is it thanks, sorry for grammar mistakes and typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment