Thursday 10 April 2014

(✎) (✉) Kinetic Typography Project


Hey, welcome back! this is my finished work of the animation. check it out :


Artist Statement

This week we have been working on our new subject of animation, which called “Kinetic Typography”. What is it?... it is a type of animation that only consists of texts/words and sounds, but sometimes it has pictures and images too, and even videos. And the main purpose is; to represents voices by animated texts, such as (if you knew it) those F-150 ads. However, because this is our first time created this animation, so our Kinetic Typographies are based on movies, songs, and speeches. For me, I decided to do a clip from a movie called Monsters University (made by Disney*Pixar); which is at part (if you have watched it) when Terry and Terri got arguments.
        
         Anyway, after two/three weeks I have been working on this project, finally I finished it! I gave it a title called “ Terry & Terri Kinetic Typography”. I used Adobe After Effects CS6 to create the final product and Adobe Audition CS6 for cutting/mixing sounds. The content of the work is about twin sibling brothers, which their names are Terry and Terri (they are the characters from the movie), and their dialogues’ represented in the animation by different colours but using the same tone. However, about the story, based on the actual clip, they are siblings that are trying to introduce themselves to the audience, but because one of them doesn't agree about the introduce, so they get a little arguments that make them become funny.

          My favorite thing about the final product is the design, because after I finished work on it, I realized that the design is actually quite match the feelings of the dialogues such as the fonts and the background. On reflection, I probably would like to improve the styles, because a few of the animations didn't match the feelings, what I meant is… the design is fit but some of the animations are weak, such as for the texts that represent the Twelve Principles of Animations; they somewhat need to improve; to make them look more interesting. My design choices were first of all they have to match the feelings of the dialogues, medium/suitable fonts, balanced colours, and balanced contrast. To made it that way, first of all I had to observe the dialogues, which later made the feelings and then represent them by colours. After that, I picked a few fonts, which are Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold, Rosewood Std, Bauhaus 93, and Apple Casual that would represent some texts, and I applied the colours to them, which are light orange for Terry and orange for Terri, and also at this time I picked a colour for the background, which is red. By the way, for the background, it's not just a red solid colour, but I also added a gradient to the red colour to make it look more fancy and comfortable to eyes. I added it, by go to Effects->Generate->Ramp, and I just played around with the options.

         The challenges that I found most difficult were at timing and animating. I found them difficult; because, first, for timing, I had to really pay attention about what the persons are actually saying especially for “quick” speak. For animating, first of all I didn't have any ideas about how to make them look fancy or cool, so I was just creating the texts first and place them at the proper time. But then, I played around with them and try a few animations and then I had my ideas. On the other hand, the solutions that were most satisfying and successful are for the animations. Because, I really didn't have any ideas about how it should look like, what I meant is... I did have the layout or storyboard, but I didn't have anything to make it look more interesting or represent the Twelve Principle of Animation. So, after a several try of styles of animations for the texts, finally I found what I want.

         Anyway, I would really want to create another Kinetic Typography, because so far I think this subject is really matching my style. I really enjoyed and like it. And also, maybe improve my skill on it.

===========================================================
Original clip:

                

No comments:

Post a Comment